If you have successfully submitted your application via the online portal of Uni-Assist and have paid the handling fee, go ahead and send your documents to uni-assist. The following section will tell you what you need to keep in mind.
In addition, find out about processing times, the status of your application and how to submit missing documents or make changes to your application.We are going to discuss in the below mentioned order
- Sending an application
- Status, evaluation result & admission
- Submitting missing documents
Sending an application to Uni-Assist
Certified copies, as well as your signed online application, must be sent to uni-assist by post. Use your online account to upload all documents that require neither official certification nor your original signature.
- Sending documents by post
- Upload your documents online
Sending documents by Post
Send in your documents as quickly as possible after submitting your online application! uni-assist should receive your documents at least 8 weeks before the application deadline.
What needs to be in the envelope?
- Even if you are applying to multiple universities, please send your documents in one single envelope only.
- For each university, you are applying to, include a printed version of the online application form with your original signature.
In addition, enclose the following documents only once:
- The certified copies of your educational certificates and proofs of language proficiency – and of their translations.
- Documents which were given to you by your university in a sealed envelope (this must not be opened).
- If you are paying by credit card: the completed and signed credit card form.
- Important: Please make sure to use the right postage to ensure your letter arrives at uni-assist.
Please send your application to this address*:
uni-assist e.V. 11507 Berlin GERMANY
*If your mail carrier does not accept the address above, please send your mail to
uni-assist e.V., Geneststrasse 5, 10829 Berlin Germany
Please note: This will not increase the transit time.
You may also drop your documents in uni-assist’s letter box in person. It is accessible 24 hours a day. If you want to drop off your application envelope in person, please use only the letter boxes marked with “uni-assist”.
The exact GPS coordinates are: 52.472090 13.36578
How to find the uni-assist letter box:
- In Reichartstraße 2, 10829 Berlin (Gate 1), you will find a large sign for the uni-assist letter box.
- Go through the green fence gate and you’ll be right in front of the letter box.
Confirmation of receipt
For each letter, you will receive a confirmation of receipt.
Upload your Documents Online
Use your online account to upload all documents that require neither official certification nor your original signature. These are usually other documents such as proofs of internships, CV, letters of motivation and letters of recommendation as well as a copy of your passport.
Note: A few universities allow online-only applications using simple copies (scans) of all documents. For more information, please contact the university of your choice.
Status, evaluation result and admission
Uni-Assist evaluate your documents according to criteria set by the universities of your choice. Uni-Assist will inform you of the result in writing by e-mail and by post. If all criteria are met uni-assist can forward your application to the university. The admission process of the university starts after this. The university itself is responsible for informing you on admission.
Please note: In the VPD procedure, you use the VPD received from uni-assist to apply directly at the university. uni-assist does not forward your application to universities in this procedure.
After you sent your documents and paid the handling fee, uni-assist will process your application. This may take 4 to 6 weeks.
As soon as uni-assist done processing your application, they will inform you of the evalutation result by e-mail and by post. Uni-Assist only evaluate if all necessary documents are included in the right form during the processing procedure. You may submit missing documents up until the application deadline.
Deadlines and processing time
Here you can find the most important information on university application deadlines and uni-assist’s current processing times. It is very important for your application that you keep to these deadlines.
General notes on deadlines
uni-assist’s deadline is that of the university. Your documents need to be with uni-assist in their entirety and in the required form before the application deadline passes. In addition, uni-assist must receive the payment of the handling fees before the deadline expires.
Apply as early as possible!
Our recommendation: Send in your documents and make your payment at least 8 weeks before the deadline expires.
This ensures that uni-assist can inform you in time if you need to submit further documents.
You may apply as soon as the university has activated the applications in the uni-assist online portal.
Deadlines for the university of your choice
Usually, the following deadlines apply for university courses in Germany:
- The application deadline is July 15th if the course starts during the winter semester.
- The application deadline is January 15th if the course starts during the summer semester.
An increasing number of universities set earlier deadlines for specific courses, such as for master’s courses or the Studienkolleg (preparatory course).
You can find out about the specific deadlines for your chosen course from the university of your choice.
Please check with the university:
- Are there different deadlines for each type of course (for example, different deadlines for bachelor courses, master’s courses, courses with or without numerus clausus (NC)?)
- Is there an earlier deadline for the application to the Studienkolleg, preparatory German language courses or introductory courses?
- Does the country in which you have acquired your certificates make a difference – Germany / EU member states / non-member states?
- Does your citizenship make a difference?
- Does the university require a VPD (preliminary review documentation) from uni-assist?
When planning your application, keep the deadline in mind that applies to you.
If a university requires a preliminary review documentation (“Vorprüfungsdokumentation”, VPD) issued by uni-assist, you need to have submitted it to them yourself before the deadline. Therefore, please plan your application with enough time and apply for your VPD as early as possible. Uni-assist will send you the VPD after your documents have been evaluated successfully.
Current Processing Times
You will usually receive your evaluation result in 4 to 6 weeks – counting from the day on which they received your application and payment. Uni-Assist process all applications received in order of their arrival.
Have you already submitted your application? These are uni-assist’s current processing times:
- Central and Eastern Europe: approximately 1 week
- Asia, North America and Oceania: approximately 2 weeks
- Western Europe, Turkey and Latin America: approximately 3 weeks
- Africa, Middle East and Iran: approximately 3 weeks
(region = origin of your educational certificates)
(Last updated: 08 October 2018)
Confirmation of receipt of your documents
For each set of documents you send to uni-assist by post, you will receive a confirmation of receipt via e-mail. For this purpose, your letter is registered in the system. This can take a few days. Especially in the days leading up to important deadlines, when uni-assist receive thousands of letters each day.
Please do not worry if you do not hear from uni-assist immediately. Even if registration takes some time, it is backdated to the day it was received.
You will usually receive a confirmation of receipt within 48 hours after registration.
Status of my application
You can check the status of your application using your online account – via the application overview on the left-hand menu. The status will only change once uni-assist have processed your application in its entirety.
What does the status of my application mean?
|Submitted online – processing not yet started||We have not evaluated your application yet. You will usually receive your evaluation result in 4 to 6 weeks.|
|Data will be sent to university soon (in case you applied for a VPD-University Preliminary Review Documentation (VPD) will be sent to you)||Your application is complete and meets all requirements necessary for a preliminary evaluation by uni-assist.
For standard applications: Uni-Assist will submit your application to the university for further evaluation shortly.
For VPD applications: Uni-Assist will shortly send you your preliminary review documentation (“Vorprüfungsdokumentation”, VPD) by e-mail and by post, after which you will need to send the VPD to the university.
|Data will be sent to university soon for further consideration||Uni-Assist will submit your application to the university for further evaluation shortly.|
|Data sent to university electronically (in case you applied for a VPD-University Preliminary Review Documentation (VPD) sent to you)||For standard applications: Uni-Assist have sent your application directly to the university. They will now decide on your admission and inform you about the results.
For VPD applications: Uni-Assist have sent you your preliminary review documentation (“Vorprüfungsdokumentation”, VPD) by e-mail and by post. You will need to send this VPD to the university.
|Application incomplete||Your application does not meet all criteria. Uni-Assist will inform you of the result in detail by e-mail and by post. You may submit any missing documents before the application deadline.|
|Processing in progress||Uni-Assist are currently unable to complete the processing of your application. They will send you an e-mail with further information.|
|Withdrawn retrospectively||You will see this status if you have withdrawn your application.|
|Sent to the university by post||Uni-Assist are not responsible for processing your application. However, upon the university’s request, they have forwarded the application to them by post without prior evaluation.|
Uni-Assist will inform you of the evaluation result in detail by e-mail and by post.
Did you receive your evaluation result from uni-assist? Find information about the next steps now.
Is your application successful?
Your application is successful if uni-assist received your complete application within the deadline and all criteria set by the university are met. Uni-Assist inform you of the results by e-mail and by post. As soon as uni-assist have forwarded your application, the university’s admission office is responsible for handling your application. The university will then decide if you will be placed in a course and will inform you of all further steps.
- Receiving multiple offers of admission: If you are offered admission by multiple universities, you are free to decide which one to accept.
- VPD exceptions: In the VPD procedure uni-assist send you the preliminary review documentation (VPD) by e-mail and by post. You then apply directly to your chosen university using the VPD.
- hochschulstart.de (DoSV) exceptions: If you are applying using the DoSV, you can use your hochschulstart.de account to check if one of your chosen universities has made you an offer. You will be able to accept this offer online.
Is your application incomplete or have you missed the deadline?
This may happen if you are missing application documents, if documents have the wrong form or arrived too late at uni-assist. Unless all criteria set by the university are met, uni-assist cannot forward your application.Uni-Assist will inform you by e-mail and by post if this is the case.
- You may submit missing documents up until the application deadline. Uni-Assist will then process your application again and inform you of the result.
- If the application deadline has passed, you can no longer submit documents or make any changes. If that is the case, apply again for a later semester.
Applying for a student applicant visa
Using a positive evaluation result from uni-assist, you may apply for a student applicant visa at the German Embassy or German Consulate.
Please note: Some consulates do not issue student applicant visas, but only student visas.
Submitting missing documents
If you are missing documents to complete your application, you can find out here how and until when you can submit them.
Before the application deadline
You can submit missing documents before the application deadline expires.
Note: If uni-assist has already forwarded your application to the university, please ask the university’s admission office where to send your documents.
Submitting documents in 3 steps
Step 1: Preparation You can find out from the university in what form you need to submit your documents to uni-assist (whether certified or not). If uni-assist have already processed your application, will let you know the details in the letter.
Step 2: Sending Documents Certified documents as well as your signed online application must be sent to uni-assist by post. Use your online account to upload all documents that require neither official certification nor your original signature.
Step 3: Processing Uni-Assist process additional documents in order of their arrival. Plan for waiting times of 4 to 6 weeks.
The status of your application changes as soon as processing has been completed by uni-assist. Uni-Assist will inform you of the detailed results in writing by email and by letter.
After the application deadline
uni-assist must have received all application documents required before the application deadline expires.
If something is missing or your documents do not arrive in time, uni-assist were unable to forward your application to the university. If your application is subject to the VPD procedure, it is possible that you might receive your preliminary review documentation (VPD) late and will be unable to submit it to the university in time.
If the deadlines have passed, you may reapply for a later semester.
How can I make changes to my data? Can I modify my current application? You can find out on this page.
Making corrections to personal data
You can correct the following data yourself using your uni-assist online account:
- Personal details (name, date of birth, place of birth, nationality)
- Postal address
- Phone number
To do this, please log in and click on “basic questions” on the left-hand menu. Make your corrections as necessary and, on the last page, click on “confirm and continue”.
Please note: If you change your name, date of birth, place of birth or nationality, your online account will be locked for approximately 48 hours. This is necessary to allow uni-assist to check your data. During this time, you will be unable to create or modify applications.
Changing your desired course of study
Adding a course of study before the application deadline
Simply create an additional application for your new desired course of study in your online account.
Important: The university may limit the number of desired courses of study per semester. Find out from the university of your choice how many parallel applications are accepted.
Changing a course of study before the application deadline
- If uni-assist has not processed your application yet, you can easily change your desired course of study in your online account yourself – via the application overview on the left-hand menu. Select the application you wish to withdraw and click on “Withdraw application” at the bottom left-hand side. Afterwards, create a new application for your new desired course of study.
- If uni-assist has already processed your application, you can no longer change your desired course of study. In this case, simply create a new application for your new desired study course in the uni-assist online portal. However, this is possible only if the application deadline has not expired and they have not yet forwarded your application to the university. The handling fees for your new desired course of study amount to EUR 30.00.
Withdrawing an application
If your application has not been processed yet, you can simply withdraw it.
Log in to your online account, then:
- Click on “application” in the menu.
- Click on the application you would like to withdraw.
- Click on “Withdraw application” on the lower left.